Sunday, March 1, 2009

my last run as a forty year old

This icon almost 30 feet in diameter and adorned the dome of St. Demetrios in Concord, CA. Rendered by Master Iconographer Elias Damianakis (my spouse). As you can tell not all the gold 22kt leaf was buffed. The Hallo palladium.
Although i never made it to gasperilla i had a great run today after church. it was cool and windy perfect running weather. the only bad thing about a run like this regretting not getting out there. just enough to warm up but not to sweat (too much). I took xena with me she started to slow down around mile four which was bad because we are doing a little over six. running with my dog is a spiritual experience. it is mystical to reflect on the relationship. It is especially wonderful when we run the trails and she can be off leash to watch how she relies on my instinctively how i am hers and she is mine. I am reminded of our Redeemer's words my sheep know me and i them. i serve as her sheppard as she looks to be for direction and speed and safety from traffic. I love that she knows me and follows me her interest is in me and my path. When i find myself with an opportunity to minister and tell people about the Good News i am freed to know that just as seeking God is a gift so i finding the Orthodox Faith another. It is not me gift to give only to show and gesture the way. It is Christ that calls His to Himself. today is Sunday of forgiveness and we had forgiveness vespers right after church. Here is the prayer of Saint Ephraim. IF you pray this in the morning and then in the evening for the first week of Lent you will see others and yourself in a different condition.

“O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk. But give me, your servant, the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love. O Lord and King, grant to me to see my own faults and not to condemn my brother or sister. For you are blessed unto the ages of ages. Amen.”(St. Ephrem the Syrian, 4th Century AD) http://onelifeministries.org/PathOfSpirit/051605_PrayerConfessionForgiveness.asp

No comments: