Saturday, January 24, 2009

woof woof (photographer theophani)

woof woof is what Mia calls xena in fact i think it was her first word. today i continued on my quest to run everyday and yes i took the mutt with me. it was dark by the time i went (it's usually just getting really dark upon my return) so i was glad to have her. since our run together yesterday xena follows me, as she used to, all around the house. upon seeing me gathering my running apparell her energy level increases. As soon as the socks and sneakers go on she's sits with ancitipation. once downstairs i get her collar by the front door to prevent charging through my home and we are off. i wanted this to be an easier run requiring less attention to getting it done and more to do with enjoying the time. of course watching the time increase is a great motivator for me to move faster and hone in on my new and improved landing form. i cruise at 9.04 pace and really enjoyed it. my competitive side relishes how relaxing that pace is. the pragmatic me is assessing what each target zone feels like. i like to run intuitively perceived rate of exertion. truly at this point the only external measure i have is the watch. i am getting a new garmin deciding between the 201 and the 301 (with heart monitor feature). is more better???(sometimes) i do appreciate how the garim tracks the course and i can just lose myself in the adventure and just go. an appropriate metaphor might compare the gps with running on the treadmill and finally getting outside. speaking of--my treadmill needs a dusting and i'm grateful to have it in those insanely hot summer months. anyway this run was very nice but quite dark and it made my foot landing a little more measured. Xena had one issue with a cat early in the run but it only ate up a few seconds. if i took her regularly it wouldn't have happened just ask Cesar Milan. off to my nephews baptism see you all tomorrow morning God willing.

No comments: